Thursday, January 7, 2010

Make my own what?!?

I am not really one of those do it yourself kinds of girls. That is to say, if I want something like granola, my first instinct is to march my butt right on down to the store and buy some. NOT make it myself. That's crazy talk! But alas the Food Network strikes again. This 5 ingredient fix woman was throwing together her own trail mix and it sounded GOOD and looked EASY. So I said to hell with it, I'm going to give it a go. Well, what do you know, it WAS good and very easy (espeically with the help of a silpat) ... and it was good, wait, did I say good? Because it WAS SO FREAKING GOOD!

Now I have to admit, I have a serious aversion to real maple syrup. It's just not my thing. I have actually been known to show up to brunch toting a mini bottle of Aunt Jemima in my purse! No joke. Aunt Jemima is what I want on my waffles, pancakes, and let’s be honest, on my bacon and sausage too (salty and sweet is a very normal flavor combination, thank you very much!)

So when ‘adjusting’ this recipe I had to think long and hard about swopping out my old stand by maple syrup for the real stuff the recipe calls for. And I have to admit, I’m very happy I caved. In fact, I damn near followed the recipe straight through to the letter. Ok ok, I didn’t have any sun flower seeds so I just tossed in extra almonds and pepitas (aka pumpkin seeds). And I wanted to add a little kick to my trail mix so I threw in a dash of cayenne pepper. But other than that, I was true to the 5 ingredient fix trail mix gods.

And I could NOT stop eating this stuff! Seriously, it’s like food crack, that’s good for you! And I'm not even a tree hugger (no offence to trees or their huggers) who by nature actually like this stuff! But I... just... can't... stop... eating it! I may not run out and start making costco size bags of homemade granola, but I am totally making this amazingly addictively splendid little snack again.

1 comment:

  1. I can attest to the fact that this girl comes to brunch with her own pancake syrup. Glad to hear the maple syrup has finally gained a toe hold. Maple syrup is the best. Once I discovered that there was something besides Log Cabin there was no turning back. Welcome to the natural side. Oh those trees do taste good!

    ReplyDelete