Monday, February 1, 2010

The Devil is in the Egg

I love deviled eggs. They remind me of potlucks, parties, and holidays like Easter. They are creamy and decadent little packages of tasty egg delight. I could eat them by the plateful (and in fact have been known to!) So today I decided to use my lunch time to take the deviled egg for a spin in my Deviled Egg Salad. Using all my favorite flavors of the classic deviled egg, I created a salad that would be great with toast points, in a sandwich with crisp lettuce and juicy tomatoes, or just heaped on a plate, which, as it were, is exactly how I enjoyed my Deviled Egg Salad today.

Deviled Egg Salad
(by A Girl and Her Kitchen)

• 5 eggs
• 1 tablespoon good mayo
• 1 teaspoon good Dijon mustard
• ¼ teaspoon (more or less depending on taste) horseradish
• ¼ teaspoon of paprika
• Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
• A tiny pinch of garlic powder and onion powder
• 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
(Yields 2 servings)

Hardboiled eggs: Place cold eggs is a small sauce pan and cover with cold water (just so the tops of the eggs barely brush the surface of the water). Add a heavy pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a boil on medium-high and then cook, boiling for 7-8 minutes. Note: start timer once the eggs are boiling. Cooking tip: older eggs are much easier to peel. I don’t mean month old eggs, but just not the super fresh ones. Once eggs are cooked, immediately soak in cold water for 3-5 minutes to stop further cooking.
Egg Salad: Peel and dry eggs and place in a bowl. Using a fork, break up the eggs into small pieces (this is very subjective, if you like your egg salad chunky, go for it. On the other hand, it you like it more minced up, you can do that too.) Note: you can opt to lower your cholesterol and fat intake on this recipe by only including 3 full eggs and 2 egg whites (tossing the 2 spare hardboiled egg yolks) if you choose. You can certainly also use light mayo.
Add the mayo, mustard, horseradish and seasonings. Mix well to combine thoroughly. Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired. Top with minced parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment